Earth's Best? The Crap In Our "Organic" Baby Formulas

I was really trying to be a pseudo-crunchy mom for my kid.  I say "pseudo-crunchy" because honestly there were some things I just couldn't commit to... like cloth diapers.  So, when I discovered that I couldn't produce more than 2 ounces of breast milk per feeding and that I'd have to supplement I was pissed.  I wanted to be one of those moms that exclusively breastfeed until 1 year and then pumped until 2 years plus, but no such luck.  Life is never as you plan it.  I'd have to spare the enormous expense of formula.  Booo!

So, if I had to use formula then it was going to be organic.  I chose Earth's Best Infant Formula with DHA & ARA.  I mean, shit it says it right on the can... It's organic.  It's the Best!  But in a couple of days I would learn it was anything but the "Best".  It sucks.  For one reason... Life's DHA.

Let me break it down.... the ingredients in Earth's Best are good.  But, they add synthetic DHA and ARA (that's right...I said "synthetic" as in inorganic substance) into their "organic" formula.  DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and ARA (arachidonic acid) are essential fatty acids found in breast milk and promote healthy brain and eye function.  However, the DHA and ARA found in Earth's Best Infant Formula, which is produced by the Martek Corporation and labeled as "Life's DHA" is derived from algae and fungus. They are produced using a potential neurotoxin known as hexane, a chemical made from crude oil.  These synthetic fatty acids have been linked to such gastrointestinal problems such as severe diarrhea, vomiting, dehydration, and gastrointestinal pain in some infants.  Poor babies.  So, your little one might not be "colic".  He or she might just be poisoned.  Don't just take my word for it.  Do the research yourself.

So, needless to say I've changed formulas.  I've switched to Baby's Only Organic Toddler Formula.  It's amazing.  It is the only formula that is truly organic.  Oh, and don't let the fact that it's called "Toddler Formula" discourage you.  They suggest that a baby be on breast milk until age 1.  And, as a result they advertise as a toddler formula, but it's totally safe for infants under 12 months.  I love it!


 I don't buy products with Life's DHA.  Look for this label if you don't want to either. Other products containing Life's DHA include:


For children and adults
  • Wegmans Organic Yogurt (Fruit on the Bottom Super Yogurt) 
  • Horizon Organic Milk 
  • Stremicks Heritage Foods Organic Milk 
  • ZenSoy Soy on the Go
 Baby Food (select products contain Martek’s DHA)
  • Happy Bellies
  • Plum Organics 
  • Tasty Baby Organic Infant Cereal
Infant Formula (all organic infant formula products contain Martek’s DHA, with the exception of Baby’s Only Organic Toddler Formula).
  • Bright Beginnings 
  • Organic Earth’s Best Organic 
  • Parent’s Choice Organic 
  • Similac Organic
  • Vermont Organics

No comments:

Post a Comment